Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Note to Self:

DO NOT buy a Woman's Day Magazine for a recipe.
I have been eyeing this magazine for a couple weeks now because of the beautiful pancakes they have on the front. Don't they look delicious? MMmmMM, yes they do.

Well my disappointment started right after I got home from purchasing the magazine and I started thumbing through the pages looking for the same yummy picture and some intense directions. I found the recipe in a 2 inch portion of the next to last page (no pics). #2 disappointment - the first ingredient was pancake mix...wHaT tHe WhAt?
So I start making the pancakes while Dan is at scouts and the boys are both sick and Andersen tells me he doesn't want blueberries in his. You have to melt butter in a single pancake frying pan and it takes forever to make our 7 pancakes...that we only ate 3 of.
The review:
Pros - I did like the texture and flavor from the butter. The boysenberry syrup that I just purchased was quite delicious.
Cons: time intensive, ingredients were boring and pancakes soaked up too much syrup. I also forgot that I really don't like it when the blueberries pop in my mouth (for some reason I think of spiders).

The execution: I think I did ok except for I need to work on my food photography and timing (with the boys). I also forgot to add fresh blueberries to the top which would have added to the taste and the presentation. They do look kind of dark too but that part tasted the best.

The disaster: I dropped a slippery sippy cup of oj in mine and Dan's shoes.


I have high hopes for next time folks...high apple pie in the sky hopes...

6 comments:

  1. ha! you crack me up. sorry about the bummer pancakes.

    I think you should continue writing comments to yourself on your photos in all of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love realmomkitchen.com for recipes. They are easy and delicious and free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll check it out. Thanks Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fun new blog! I can see why you bought it, they look awesome. I cant believe Henry weighs that close to Anderson, how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm....boysenberry... sorry- I was just drooling a bit. What did I miss?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when a recipe looks so good and then it includes a mix of some kind. Too bad you were disappointed. Many of the recipes in magazines can be found online so I don't even buy magazines. I just note the name of the magazine and the name of the recipe (maybe a few of the ingredients to be sure it's the same). And my library has most magazines that the store has so I can copy recipes while I look through them at the library or check out past months.

    ReplyDelete