Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Mint Brownie Recipe

My mom makes these mint brownies every year around Christmas. Over the last couple of years I have started the tradition in our little family as well. I feel like I can post this recipe because it has been in our family for so long and we have made adjustments. I think my mom originally got this recipe from my dad's mom who got it out of a newspaper in Texas before I was born.

Lets break this down into 3 steps, although cutting these brownies is another step which I find more difficult than making the brownies.
This is the recipe I use for my pan, which is 17 1/2" x 12 1/2". It is like a cookie sheet and a half. You can try to change recipe to fit your size of pan.
Bottom: 2 boxes of Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie mix.
Middle: 1 16oz tub of Duncan Hines cream cheese frosting
1 1/2 T peppermint extract
a drop or two of green food coloring
Top: 1 1/4 C semi sweet chocolate chips
8 T butter
2 T Karo syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla

Yes! I always have something go wrong - this time 2 drips of salsa fell onto the brownies! ERRR to having a small kitchen! From experience it is better than not having a kitchen though.
Step 1: Make brownies. I use Betty Crocker's fudge brownie mix. I'm sure you could make some by scratch but I am used to these and they are delicious. I would also recommend adding walnuts if you like them because it makes them even better. I let these cool completely and even chill sometimes before the next step.

Step 2: Frost brownies. I buy Duncan Hines cream cheese frosting and add peppermint extract and food coloring (just a bit to tint frosting). Mix together well and spread evenly onto brownies. Chill before adding chocolate top layer.

Step 3: Chocolate top: Melt chocolate chips and butter on med-low heat until melted and add Karo syrup and vanilla. Drizzle then spread evenly over chilled frosted brownies. I use a butter knife but I have always wanted to try one of those frosting knives. Chill before cutting.

Cutting tips: Chill!!! Use a sharp knife and try to glide it through, if that catches the top layer then I would try to lightly press to cut. Good Luck. Oh, I always cut off sides and eat them instead of serving them.

6 comments:

  1. So yummy! I think I miss your mom's brownies-now I can make them myself! They'd be super yummy with crushed up candy canes sprinkled either on top of the frosting or on top of the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited to make it myself. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm. Can't wait to make these myself and I am so glad it calls for a brownie mix. I have never been able to make a home made batch of brownies that tastes as good as a brownie mix. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMMMMMM! I have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally just wrote this on one of my recipie cards, excited to use it sometime. Your blog is just too cute as are you!

    ReplyDelete